Foods To Never Feed Your Dog
It can be quite difficult to say no to your precious pup, especially when they give you the puppy dog stare and silent begging body language. But, you may be doing your dog a huge favor and possibly saving their life. Many people are unaware of foods that are not safe or even toxic for their dog, and it is important to know what NOT to feed them. Many ingredients you see in human food are absolutely not safe for your pooch and the bottom line is- dogs should not be eating human food(unless advised by a veterinarian). Below we have provided a list of SOME foods not to feed your dog-but there are many more to stay away from as well. As always, do your research and stay educated about what your dog needs and how to keep them happy, healthy and safe at all times…
Chocolate, Tea, Soda & Coffee
- These foods contain high amounts of caffeine which can increase your dog’s heart rate and nervous system to an unsafe level. These substances contain what is called methylxanthines- which may cause diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, seizures, panting, excessive thirst and even death. Dark chocolate is more harmful than milk chocolate, however they are still at risk of serious illness with either one.
- Alcohol is extremely dangerous to your dog’s liver and brain-just as much as it is to a human. It can cause diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, breathing issues, incoordination, coma and even death.
Grapes & Raisins
- GThe ingestion of raisins or grapes can produce acute renal failure in dogs and are highly toxic. Research is still unknown as to why these foods cause this reaction, but regardless, never feed your dog these foods.
- AMost fruits and vegetables are non-toxic and safe for dogs, however, avocados is not included on that list. This fruit has person-a fungicidal toxin-which causes serious health problems in ALL animals.
Chewing Gum, Toothpaste, Candy & Mouthwash
- These substances contain xylitol, a sweetener that can cause insulin release in many animals. An increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels) and causes vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, and even seizures.
- Bones are not easily digestible and contain splinters from the soft bone which can become lodged or even slice the inside of your dogs stomach which can cause serious health problems or even death.
Onions & Garlic
- These foods are particularly harmful to your pup because it can cause gastrointestinal irritation and lead to red blood cell damage. As these are often ingredients in many recipes, it’s important to keep an eye out for them and avoid giving your dog human food!
- Like grapes, there is no research to indicate why these nuts are so harmful to dogs. They can be extremely toxic to dogs, causing weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia.
- These can be extremely injurious to pet health, and even fatal to dogs. Some kinds are worse than others, so it is best to prevent your dog from coming into contact with any mushrooms whether cooked, raw or even the ones in your backyard!
Baking Soda, Baking Powder & Yeast
- Leavening agents can cause serious gastrointestinal problems for dogs including spasms, seizures and heart problems. Effects may not be noticed immediately, so make sure you get your dog to the vet quickly.
Tomatoes, Potatoes & Rhubarb
- Tomatoes, especially unripe green ones, are toxic and can cause all sorts of problems that can lead to heart failure. Potato jackets are especially bad for dogs, as is the entire rhubarb plant. In fact, some parts of rhubarb are toxic to humans, too.
In Case Of An Emergency
If your dog consumes any of these unhealthy-for-dogs human foods, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center right away. There are risks with eating food that doesn’t mesh well with a dog’s biology, and you cannot treat the harmful effects at home. It is important to act FAST and take them to the ER vet right away- in these situations time is the enemy and every second counts when it comes to saving their life.
Like we stated above, these are not the complete list of foods that are toxic and hazardous to your dog. Make sure to go online, in books or ask your trusted veterinarian about foods you should be avoiding in your dog’s diet and everyday life. If you are a forgetful person who may leave food out on the counter, have small children who have a tendency to feed your dog, or have a dog who is mischievous and can raid your pantry and/or fridge, it may be best to completely remove these foods from your home or keep them somewhere you KNOW your dog won’t be able to get to. Our dogs depend on us to keep them healthy and safe, and if that means sacrificing certain foods for them, it is well worth it!
About Dip’ n Dogs Hydrotherapy – Orlando, FL
At Dip’n Dogs Hydrotherapy, we are certified and caring professionals devoted to restoring and enhancing the health and happiness of your beloved pup. Encompassing a state-of-the-art, indoor pool, as well as a certified hydrotherapist, this can provide effective and long lasting results for your pet’s injury or illness. We are conveniently located in Orlando FL near the College Park area. Contact us today at (407) 227-0030. Our Services include the following: Indoor Hydrotherapy and In-Home Mobile Therapy for dogs. We look forward to hearing from you!